[FoRK] Re: Kindle first impressions

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Sun May 4 13:32:41 PDT 2008

On May 4, 2008, at 2:23 PM, Luis Villa wrote:

> Does the DRM aspect not trouble you, or do you just see the benefits
> outweighing the costs?
>
> More generally, the same question applies for
> the tying to a particular vendor by non-DRM means (e.g., the
> Whispernet functionality, or putting PDF conversion on their machines
> instead of yours.)

That's a complicated set of interlocking questions, with an even more
complicated set of interlocking answers...  expect a more detailed
answer some other time, I need to think about how to respond.  But
we've touched on this in some of my exchanges w/ Tom, namely that I
think I have a different understanding of the difference between free
speech and free beer (and the relative importance of them, vs. perhaps
other considerations) than he does.

The short version is this:  I like technology that improves the
efficiency or effectiveness of workflows and processes that I already
engage in via other means, or reduces the friction associated with new
workflows and processes to the near-trivial;  technology like that
wins, for me, almost (but not always) regardless of its politics.
I'll take the superior solution (i.e., best added-value to my
workflow) with inferior politics over the have-to-futz-with-it doesn't-
quite-solve-my-problem solution with superior politics, most of the
time.  Hence my love for Apple (hardware and OS, I'm not a media guy,
rarely use the iTunes store), TiVo (though their implementation of
HDCP is buggy and infuriating), and e.g. potentially Amazon.  All
provide added-value apps and functionality on top of semi-open but
often mostly-*standard* underlying technologies, and do so in a way
that doesn't usually "get in my way" or distract me as much as other,
more open solutions.  My dislike of e.g. Microsoft is not so much
because of their closed nature as it is the fact that their shit just
sucks, and that for a while it looked like there wouldn't be any
reasonable alternatives.  (I've realized in hindsight that any such
dominated market will always *breed* alternatives --- even ones that
do fantastically unexpected end-runs like Linux.  The changes may just
not occur as quickly as we'd like.)

Put differently, perhaps the cathedral is just inherently better at
apps and at business models and complex interlocking-concern
deployment scenarios than the bazaar.  And for things where that's
important --- like user experience, administrative overhead, vertical
integration of service and network, and particular areas like for-pay
content --- it's a tradeoff I'm usually willing to make, assuming the
ties and compromises result in reduced rather than increased friction.

In the case of Amazon specifically, (a) WhisperNet isn't closed, their
"experimental" browser has full access as far as I can tell, it's just
not very good --- if it were, I suspect they'd charge an access fee
for WhisperNet, and that might be okay but I'd prefer a WiFi option
when available, and (b) the whole stack has lots of added value.  I
already spend vast sums at Amazon yearly, they are my online vendor of
choice and I'm a huge book consumer not to mention the other kinds of
gear and kit and gifts I buy from them.  The ability to have a
reliable service holding and managing my digital library is actually
awesome, though I do wish I could access same from e.g. my laptop.
And I'd pay a very large premium if they could retroactively make all
the bits-as-atoms that I've purchased from them available as pure-bits
--- both to Amazon and to the individual content authors / owners.
(Similarly, I'd happily pay somebody to digitize my library, and have
as mentioned previously contemplated doing so.  Just not sure I can
emotionally take all those gutted books, just not there yet... ;-)

Are bits free?  Does information want to be free?  Sure.  But here in
the real world, Julian Dibbell's got to eat. ;-)  Therein lies a
conundrum.  If Amazon comes up with a way to solve that conundrum that
gets me the 80% I need, I can sacrifice the 20%...  and license purity
and tying considerations are definitely part of the latter.  And I'm
happy to pay Amazon the vig for the solution, assuming it's reasonable.

That said, this is an experiment.  We'll see in a few months how much
of my Amazon consumption has moved to their Kindle delivery channel...

$0.02,

jb