[FoRK] Re: Kindle first impressions

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Sun May 4 13:49:40 PDT 2008

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

>  On May 4, 2008, at 2:23 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
>

> > Does the DRM aspect not trouble you, or do you just see the benefits
> > outweighing the costs?
> >
> > More generally, the same question applies for
> > the tying to a particular vendor by non-DRM means (e.g., the
> > Whispernet functionality, or putting PDF conversion on their machines
> > instead of yours.)
> >

>  That's a complicated set of interlocking questions, with an even more
> complicated set of interlocking answers...  expect a more detailed answer
> some other time, I need to think about how to respond.

No problem; I asked specifically because I'm mulling these questions a
lot myself, less because of the free beer/free speech question (which
is a pretty easy question for me), and more because of the issues of
lockin, ease of use, and innovation (which I find to be very hard.)

Digesting your answer and looking forward to more of it; will probably
come back to it in a couple weeks when I start writing my review of
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1125949 (probably
also available over Kindle or the old-fashioned way, in bookstores)

Luis