[FoRK] Re: Kindle first impressions

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Sun May 4 17:21:09 PDT 2008

On May 4, 2008, at 3:32 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> That's a complicated set of interlocking questions, with an even
> more complicated set of interlocking answers...  expect a more
> detailed answer some other time, I need to think about how to
> respond.  But we've touched on this in some of my exchanges w/ Tom,
> namely that I think I have a different understanding of the
> difference between free speech and free beer (and the relative
> importance of them, vs. perhaps other considerations) than he does.

BTW, this wasn't intended as a dig at Tom at all...  different people
have different perspectives on the relative tradeoffs involved in all
of these things, and I absolutely respect Tom's opinion (despite his
constant razzing me about selling out re: e.g. Apple... ;-)  This is
more of the same;  how much freedom (various degrees of freedom) are
you willing to give up in order to save yourself certain hassles?
Different folks, different answers.

Same thing, basically...

When it comes to technology, I generally assume that any friction the
vendors are going to try to throw at me can be circumvented in other
ways if absolute need be.  Given this, I'm willing to make some
ongoing concessions in order to free myself from various kinds of
"overhead" entailed in using the closed stuff.

When it comes to law and society, I'm not so willing to make those
kinds of concessions...

jb