[FoRK] Re: Kindle first impressions

Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com> on Sun May 4 21:25:49 PDT 2008

Jeff Bone wrote on 5/4/2008 1:32 PM:
> Put differently, perhaps the cathedral is just inherently better at apps
> and at business models and complex interlocking-concern deployment
> scenarios than the bazaar.  And for things where that's important ---
> like user experience, administrative overhead, vertical integration of
> service and network, and particular areas like for-pay content --- it's
> a tradeoff I'm usually willing to make, assuming the ties and
> compromises result in reduced rather than increased friction.

Hrm, I think you're missing the point of Open Source(TM) - It's COOL!
More to the point, it's _only_ cool. User experience, administrative
overhead, and vertical integration are not cool, and thus do not exist
in the Open Source(TM) universe.

Even Linux, which I use all the time, has almost none of the features a
business would want, so people were hired to add them, at their day job,
the horror. So uncool. But after years of this, now it's usable.

Or Apple, you think it would be anywhere as awesome if they didn't
control the hardware (read: drivers), and have really strong UI
guidelines? Of course not, it would be chaos too.

So yea, it takes some pointy headed boss to say "hey, what if setting
your hostname didn't involve editing a text file with an editor it takes
3 months to learn to use?". Any geek saying that would be tarred and
feathered! Allow mortals to use software, no way.

Open source kicks ass, but using it is pure masochism.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/