[FoRK] Re: Kindle first impressions

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Sun May 4 21:46:21 PDT 2008

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 03:23:48PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> Does the DRM aspect not trouble you, or do you just see the benefits
> outweighing the costs? More generally, the same question applies for
> the tying to a particular vendor by non-DRM means (e.g., the
> Whispernet functionality, or putting PDF conversion on their machines
> instead of yours.)

I'm not Jeff, but I found it quite comforting to see that the Kindle's
engineers had built on other people's work (i.e. Linux and Mobipocket),
enough so that it inherited those project's hack-ability.

In other words, it's these guys who make me want one:
http://thekindle.wordpress.com/2008/01/19/free-books-for-the-amazon-kindle/
http://thekindle.wordpress.com/2008/01/18/how-to-view-pdf-files-on-the-kindle/
http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/mobipocket-books-on-kindle.html
http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/hacking-kindle-part-3-root-shell-and.html