[FoRK] Re: Kindle first impressions

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Mon May 5 16:47:45 PDT 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 4:38 PM, Tom Higgins wrote:
> So, if I am reading this right, the Kindle is best used if you have no
> regard for the law or fear of getting caught should you happen to
> want to
> pretend lawyers don't sue.

You missed the part where the train jumped the track.  ;-)

I've got no need to break the law w/ Kindle because it serves the
purpose I need it to serve and justifies the price tag w/o me
resorting to end-runs around any laws.  But if I did, well, I wouldn't
lose too much sleep over it.

> So long as you get your bookos where and when you want them you are
> cool
> with either ignoring the contracts your agreeing to or you are
> activley
> breaking them...

In principle.  But the only place I need 'em is my bookcase (got that
covered) or Kindle / Amazon library (at least at this point.)

> I then find it hard to take seriously the assertion this
> device is a good thing to invest time, content control and money into.

YMMV.  Perhaps it works better if you think of "renting" commercial
titles for the Kindle rather than "buying" them.

> In my olden age I can see where you are coming from but also realize
> the
> pitfalls you get into over years of doing such contortions. Better
> to deamnd
> of your suppliers a better way of being rather than breaking bits of
> yourself to fit thier biz model.

It'll happen.  But I'm not going to deprive myself in the meantime
waiting for it;  such change happens on longer-than-human timeframes.

> -tom(not against capitalism here, just against things working against
> me)higgins

That's just the point;  you might want to do things w/ e.g. Kindle
content that I don't want to, but for me, it's perfectly acceptable
from a business model perspective...  Would I prefer more flexible
terms?  Sure.  Do I place enough importance on that to not use this
device?  No way.  There's principles, then there's pragmatism.  I'm
ever the pragmatist as the clock runs down... ;-) :-)

jb