[FoRK] Re: Kindle first impressions

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Mon May 5 17:01:58 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> > > or don't sign.
> > >

> > Don't care;  doesn't bother me.  AFAIC, it doesn't exist. ;-)  This idea
> that lawyers have that somehow words on paper (particularly when they're
> prima facie ridiculous) can by themselves coercively, preemptively modify
> people's behavior is, frankly, baffling. ;-)
> >

>  To expand on this a little...  one of these days I'm going to CafePress a
> t-shirt that simply says:
>
>   Freedom.  It's what you got. (tm)
>
>  I haven't pushed this line for a while here, but I fundamentally reject the
> idea that I (or anyone) can be forced into obligation without their explicit
> consent.

And I fundamentally reject the idea that you live in a vacuum within
which you're omnipotent. At some point, you rely on society for
certain things, and hence, what society gives you limits (and/or
empowers) you. That control is of course not perfect (as you point
out, you can rip DVDs shittily now), nor is it perfectly analogous to
the controls imposed by law (ditto).

You might not want to call these constraints 'obligation', but I don't
think law is really about obligation either- it is about control and
power, and in the end, your control and power is limited by the real
world in which you live. Imperfectly controlled/limited, but
controlled/limited. Deny it all you want, but you don't live in Galt's
Gulch :)

Mind you, I'm not saying there is a moral obligation (which might be
what you're getting at?) I'm saying there are real power relations
that you can deny all you want but exist nonetheless.

Luis

Luis