[FoRK] Help wanted (and: Busting the "offshore tax havens" myth)

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Tue May 6 07:08:28 PDT 2008

Jeff Bone:
> Russell, lets take (a semi-fictionalized version of) you as an
> example. For the purposes of this discussion, "Russell" owns a couple
> of oil wells and makes most of his income as a contract programmer.

Just for the record. 1) I don't know anything about offshore assets,
but everything I've heard suggests Jeff is right, that there is no
legal way to avoid taxes simply by holding or making money abroad.
2) I don't own a couple of oil wells. I do own a very small slice of
one well. I could boast that it pays for my gasoline and electric bill.
But I also could boast that I don't drive much, and only run the AC at
night. 3) Once upon a time, I made most of my income as a contract
programmer, but now work for a startup. My hope is in sweat equity and
capital gains. ;-)

BTW, we're hiring, and in particular, we're looking for a programmer
who is interested in working on performance and test frameworks for a
symmetric, scalable distributed system.