[FoRK] Private equity, venture capital, entrepreneurs, and tax policy

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue May 6 09:11:40 PDT 2008

On May 6, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Lawnun wrote:
> Jeff:
>
> Interesting stuff, and your little tutorials have, at least for me,
> clarified quite a bit about what the media seem to be getting
> wrong.  :-)

That was my hope, anyway!  :-)

> But would you mind elaborating on your third assumption? I'm not
> wholly
> following how "you can't raise taxes on either PE/VC without raising
> it on
> entrepreneurs."  Effect, I get.  Taxes though?

It's literally the same economic activity:  in all three cases, the PE/
VC/entrepreneur is getting taxed on the sale of equity that they
received in compensation in essence for their "sweat."  The nature and
amount of sweat involved clearly differs, I can't think of any
reasonable way to modify the law to distinguish these w/o generating
undesirable consequences.  If you simply up the cap gains rate (or up
it just for e.g., illiquid investments that ultimately pay out) then
you both stifle investment and directly punish the entrepreneur.

If you break precedent then you can differentiate treatment, at the
expense of tremendous complication and the probable introduction of
true loopholes.  If you make a distinction between e.g. PE/VC and
entrepreneurs on the basis of employment status in the portfolio
company, then you stifle investment and / or create a situation where
each PE/VC guy is a "full time" no-show employee of each portfolio
company, or some other similar nonsense.  In either case the
entrepreneur suffers again.

IMHO, the only sensible way to make this work is to recognize that,
ultimately, each of these guys is engaging in a minor variation of the
same basic economic activity, and it therefore doesn't make sense to
treat them differently.  Despite all of its flaws, our present tax
system gets that right, at least, within the framework of its own
tortured logic.

A reasonable argument might be made that the cap gains rate should not
consist merely of a single short-term and single long-term rate, but
rather a tiered progressive structure of rates paralleling the income
tax structure.  That's definitely arguable.  But I think --- hope ---
it's clear that any such restructuring is likely to have a chilling
effect on lots of vital economic activity, including some things of
special interest to the folks hereabouts.  And in any case, this again
impacts equally all three of the windfall-driven professions we're
discussing.

jb