[FoRK] EEE 701 a week or so later

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Fri May 23 17:37:54 PDT 2008

Here is what I have found out about myself.....much as I would like to keep
a promise to my wife if it involves not moding gear I buy I am going to be
breaking those promises. So it is with the EEE.

Out of the box I was so gobsmacked that it worked, worked well, was linux
and did all the things I could ask of it (at the time). I told my wife I
would wait a month or so till I messed with the OS bad enough to possibly
cause it to harf. Much to my surprise, and hers, even though I did fall off
that wagon I did not brick the beast.

What I have done is installed eeeubuntu (http://www.eeebuntu.org/) on it.
After much reading and holding off I came to realize the worst I could do
was waste an evening putting the stock xandros based image back on the ssd
and wimpering that I messed up. Luckily for me I have some skillage left in
the old skull and got the distro on, paving over the old one, having all the
gear and gizmos work as it did on the stock install, moved on to turn on
some betterments and then to get the goodies I really wanted the EEE to have
on it from day one.

CPU scaling, yep. Wifi, webcam, mic, all that jazz working, yep. Kismet,
comix, fbreader, gpsdrive, cgoban, etc etc etc all up and working, yep.

So whats the downside of running a full blown ubuntu install on the EEE?
First off, the boot up time is not the zipflashbang inyerface ness of the
stock install. Then again I have added in services like opensshd and avahi
which take time to laod up. I am sure if I jimmied with the boot sequence
and got to the desktop before everything was loaded in, or even not load all
the services up at boot but rather make them something I would need to start
up by hand, the boot time would go much faster.

The other downside is the need for more ram. 512mb is fine and all but when
you are pushing it the cry for swap is almost audible. I have priced out a
suitable 2gb ram chip (about 55$) that will slot right into where the 512mb
now sits with no fuss or muss, so that is going to be a near future purchase
just as soon as I bat my lashes and ask pretty please.  With 2gb I can set
up a swap that is not on the sd or even a ram disk (yes I do take into
account the fact sd has a finite r/w lifetime..so easy with that axe
Eugene..this is also where /var/idontcareaboutyoulogs will wind up i betya)

Having ubuntu now means when I want an app I am not futzing with enabling
then deenabling lines in my sources.lst. Not that that was a big pain in the
ass but it was something I had to be aware of else I could fry the setup
with a bad apt-get upgrade. This also means I am more apt to load on apps
that I do not actually have the SD space for, so I am still trying to
remember to stop before I go on apt-get install binges. No I do not NEED
Westernoth on this box...ok well maybe I do but I do NOT need blender..etc
etc I have gotten things down so that I have 1.1gb free of the 4gb of SD
that is the internal storage. I am using a 2gb sd card as storage for music,
movies, etc etc etc. I await the time , soon please, when 16gb sd chips come
with a Happy Meal.

So what am I using this thing for? Basically where ever I go, there it be.
With the proliferation of wifi around Portland (and please do not think I
use Metrofi, so its fall is no fall for me brotha) I can be up and online in
a min or 2, less if I am coming out of hibernation. I also have enough
books, music and movies on the side sd to keep me from a lack of anything to
devour. Sure some of this I have been doing with the Palm Lifedrive, the TX
before that and the C before that...but now its with a full desktop and a
keyboard:)-

On the alternative distro side front I think things are only going to get
better for these minimes. I hear tell ubuntu has an interest in making sure
the eee and olpc have good solid versions and I am sure others will as well.

Bottom line... EEE 701 4g + eeeubuntu + 2g ram = OMG In My Hands 24 hour
party tommywhore in da hizzatubesza

-tom(and yes the new 900's have lots of extrea mem so if your going to be
buying such as and have the extra cash look into that)higgins