[FoRK] EEE 701 a week or so later

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Sat May 24 00:32:29 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's a pretty sweet little number, Tom.  How's the wifi?  Is the
> install good at grabbing onto any ol' access point it can?  How's the
> hiberation -- does the power management do good things when you close
> the lid?

Wifi is pretty darn good. I am getting good signal from all my usual places,
way better than I was on the Lifedrive (not that this is hard to do).
Kismet, wireshark, etherape and all those goodiebag faves of apps I use work
rock solid. Yes even kismet was a pussy cat purring out the sweet wardriving
log files with a simple add of one line...ok two if you add gps=true. Yep
the trusty hockey puck of a bu353 worked with gpsd as well as on any rig I
have had it on.

Aps lock in, no problems so far. Ive been on the linksysnation, various ptp
nodes, a few ciscos and the odd metrofi skyilot jobber (testing and
wardriving) with out a hicup.

Power mngmt can do either a hibernation or suspend, each has its pros and
cons. Back when i had the sotck OS i set it just to blank the screen and
stay active, mostly for the wardriving/node sniffing stuff I do. I have it
set to hibernate on Ubuntu as this is the default..i am thinking of setting
that up as I did with the old install and just have it blank the screen. Im
not much worried about juice as I am about having the thing in monitor mode
gleeping data from the air....when I do that sort of thing.

> Losing boot time is a hit, though, especially given that boot time is
> one of the advantages of the SSD.

It is but ya know it swas never one of the big big advantages to me. I
always saw this as more a very sleek laptop rather than an appliance. YMMV
and yes I am still tweeking with the boot sequence to try to bring it down
to under a min...godo luck on that though:)-

-tom(skype video calling with this is amazingly cool, you can just walk
around the house having a video chat...very cinema verte.."hey here is what
im cooking, check out my new knife")higgins