[FoRK] obama at the texas book depository

Joseph S. Barrera III joe-ml at barrera.org
Sun May 25 08:22:48 PDT 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/25/us/politics/25memo.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&adxnnl=1&fta=y&adxnnlx=1211727795-OZ9PRQSRDkG66hQXXKWsXQ

Here in Dallas, those memories were raised in conversation after
conversation with several of the 17,000 people who came to see Mr. Obama
at a rally last week.

“Right around the corner is the John Kennedy Memorial; everyone all
around me was talking about it,” said Imogene Covin, a Democratic
activist from Dallas. “In the back of my mind, it’s a possibility that
something might happen because he’s something to gawk at right now. But
you know why I think he will be safe? He has a broad range of people
behind him.”

That afternoon, Mr. Obama’s motorcade passed Dealey Plaza and the Texas
Book Depository building, where the fatal shot was fired at President
Kennedy in 1963. Several campaign aides looked out their windows,
silently absorbing the scene.

Not so for Mr. Obama, who later said he had not realized he was passing
the site. And no one in his car pointed it out.

“I’ve got to admit, that’s not what I was thinking about,” he said. “I
was thinking about how I was starting to get a head cold and needed to
make sure that I cleared up my nose before I got to the arena.”