[FoRK] What irks me about over-broad hands-free cell phone laws and complaints about multitasking

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jun 2 11:41:13 PDT 2008

Re:  http://www.mercurynews.com/mrroadshow/ci_9452200?nclick_check=1

To: mrroadshow at mercurynews.com

The shrill calls for outlawing any multitasking while driving are not
fair and not rational.  I completely agree that inexperienced drivers
and those who are not able to effectively multitask show refrain from
trying to practice multitasking in a potentially dangerous environment.
It is certainly true that teenagers typically have not attained this
training.  If someone is reckless, then call them on it.  However, to
make the blanket assertion that it is unsafe for anyone to do so at any
time is a huge intrusion into life and liberty.

I am a multitasker.  I multitask while working, while exercising, while
communicating with several people at once, and, in fact, you could say
that I'm Federally certified to multitask while operating a much more
demanding vehicle: I'm a Private Pilot.  A private pilot must watch 6
guages, a couple navigation devices, fly a plane in three dimensional
space, watch in all directions for possible collisions, match the ground
to bulky and sometimes hard to read navigation charts, communicate
sometimes constantly over the radio, monitor weather for possible
problems, update instrument settings periodically, and manage
passengers.  It is highly simplistic to insist that this is not possible
or safe enough.  To try to force me to stop trying to get some benefit
out of an otherwise largely wasted and often long commute is offensively
myopic and something I will fight in court if necessary.

I always give my primary attention to driving, of course.  Simarly, the
primary rule as a Private Pilot is: "Fly the Plane!."  You can, however,
at each point in time estimate how long you can spend attention
elsewhere before a danger could occur without a safety margin.  Every
driver has to learn how to do this to be a competent driver: You have to
know how long you can look in the rear-view mirror, turn your head to
sweep for blind spots, look down at your speedometer, gas, and engine
temperature guages, tune the radio, pick up your Slurpee, etc.  There
may be a lot of people who can't hold a conversation or fiddle with
anything without forgetting to look at their surroundings .5 seconds
later, however they are not representative of all of us who have far
more bandwidth and the ability to strictly prioritize.  Most of my
driving is very automatic and extremely reactive to emergency
situations.  That won't be the case for a new driver.  Additionally, I
would argue that some alternatives are far more dangerous.  Pulling off
the side of a highway and then merging back in, suddenly or not, is much
more dangerous in a congested area than using fractions of a second of
attention or eye contact here and there.

This is part of a longer discussion about overly-striving for perfect
security in some areas while ignoring far more risky instances.  I think
these calls also include errors in the perception of probabilities.  I
have driven as much as 4 hours a day, and over 2 hours a day for long
periods, in the worst traffic in the DC area for 13 years, and 14 years
before that in Dayton/Cincinnati and Cleveland, talking on the phone or
otherwise multitasking for as much of that time as possible, without
ever having an accident or even a close call.  I've driven in Paris,
London, Canada, Mexico, and Helsinki.  Occasionally, I'll forget to
watch for an exit, but I never compromise the safety of my driving.  If
anything, conversation helps me to be more alert.  My ingrained training
on this is so strong that I viscerally cringe when watching a driving
actor not glance ahead often enough when they are turned so far that not
even peripheral vision would help them track the road, let alone dodge
disaster.

I have always used a "hands free" device in the sense of a headset,
wired or wireless, whenever possible, i.e. until one breaks.  In a
pinch, I will (or used to anyway) just put the phone up to my head, but
I have never liked that, with any phone.  I use headsets at my desk
phone also, starting a trend at a couple large companies because of the
obvious benefit.

To a competent driver, driving is not a demanding task.  Please point
out significant dangers, but try not to project inability on others,
especially when it would result, in a sense, to loss of large amounts of
living time.  I would suggest you stress, as I have to my teenagers,
that just because they can handle non-emergency situations well doesn't
mean that they could react fast enough when things go wrong.  They need
to increase margins of time and space over what might be safe for more
experienced drivers and those with more capable vehicles.  Effective
emergency reaction takes a lot of driving to ingrain reactions, quick
thinking, and accurate estimation of timing, distances, and vehicle ability.

Thanks,
SW, Mountain View, CA