[FoRK] The story behind No-bama's Soviet-style iconography

Corinna Schultz corinna.schultz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 14:03:41 PDT 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

>  In political terms it's a dog whistle for younger professionals and
>> college students.  It signifies that Obama is Cool.
>>

> Right.  You make my point for me.  Soviet = badass = cool = we're in big
> trouble.

Like when my  parents freaked when they found out my husband
(then-boyfriend) has long hair.  "Well," my mother said doubtfully, after I
insisted that he was ok, "as long as he's clean, I guess it's fine."

As though long-haired, unwashed, etc, hippies still existed...?

This was in 1993 or so.

Times change, and so does meaning.

These days, leather jackets and black fishnet stockings doesn't necessarily
mean you're into S&M.