[FoRK] The story behind No-bama's Soviet-style iconography

Joseph S. Barrera III joe-ml at barrera.org
Mon Jun 2 15:30:12 PDT 2008

Tom Higgins wrote:

>  And are we also to believe Laibach has a political agenda because of
>  their art work.....

And their lyrics!!!! Well, I do think they DO have a political agenda...
it's just hard to figure out :-)

"Laibach has frequently been accused of both far left
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_left> and far right
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_right> political stances due to their
use of uniforms <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform> and totalitarian
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totalitarian>-style aesthetics
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesthetics> and also due to the Wagnerian
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Wagner> influence found in some of
their music, notably the thunder in "Sympathy for the Devil (Time for a
Change)" and releases such as /Macbeth/. They were also accused of being
members of the neonationalism movement which reincarnates modern ideas
of nationalism. Laibach always denied this strongly. Laibach are quoted
as saying "We are fascists as much as Hitler
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler> was a painter" when confronted
with such accusations.^[1]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laibach_%28band%29#cite_note-VH1-0>"