[FoRK] The story behind No-bama's Soviet-style iconography

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Jun 2 15:50:40 PDT 2008

On Jun 2, 2008, at 4:03 PM, Corinna Schultz wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>>

>> In political terms it's a dog whistle for younger professionals and
>>> college students.  It signifies that Obama is Cool.
>>>

>> Right.  You make my point for me.  Soviet = badass = cool = we're
>> in big
>> trouble.
>

> Like when my  parents freaked when they found out my husband
> (then-boyfriend) has long hair.  "Well," my mother said doubtfully,
> after I
> insisted that he was ok, "as long as he's clean, I guess it's fine."

Sorry, I don't think that's a well-formed analogy.  You can argue
about whether or not Soviet iconography being recycled for American
political use is a bad thing or not, but it's directly analogous to
the question of whether other political regimes' (e.g, Nazi) stylistic
conventions and imagery would be a cause for concern.  This isn't
merely a question of style or fashion;  it's a question about what the
purpose of a given style or fashion says about the memetic soup we all
live in...

jb