[FoRK] The story behind No-bama's Soviet-style iconography

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Jun 2 16:46:08 PDT 2008

On Jun 2, 2008, at 6:40 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2008, at 6:20 PM, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
>> Jeff Bone wrote:
>>
>>> President as rebel, never mind the cause.
>>
>> I think I can guess who you would have voted for in 1960...
>
> Just based on my own previous election behavior, I probably would
> have voted for Harry Byrd --- and been horrified if he'd won.
>
> Hey, at least he advocated a balanced budget.

And yes, I'm aware of his opposition to Brown v. Board of Education,
and the fact that Strom Thurmond was his running mate.  Not saying I
have any sympathy for that particular position.  Hence the
aforementioned horror.  I would've viewed this as a protest vote in
favor of fiscal restraint only, and been totally turned off by the
actual broader implications of him winning.

But I would've felt about that election much like I feel about this
one:  hardly a policy to agree with among all the contenders.

jb