[FoRK] Google Talk Now Translates Your Chats

Joseph S. Barrera III joe-ml at barrera.org
Tue Jun 3 00:43:01 PDT 2008

Stephen Williams wrote:

>  On the other hand, I do want to continue Japanese and start Mandarin.
>  I'd like to dig into Arabic, but I haven't found a good course that's
>  accessible other than a few words on the Internet.

It just kills me that I've been learning Japanese for years but my
girlfriend
(and all her friends) speak Mandarin and I don't understand a word...
at least my learning kanji is still useful. Of course, it's not called
kanji...

- Joe

P.S. She was talking to her mom: blah blah blah COSTCO blah blah,
and I said, I've just learned the Chinese word for Costco! And her mom
said (in Chinese) isn't that just "Costco"? So I guess my sense of humor
is just one more thing that's hard to translate...

P.S. OK, I've learned the words for "thank you". And I've learned that
ma is Chinese for ka (question marker). As well as meaning mother,
horse, and about ten other things depending on tone.