[FoRK] Resource-oriented computing?

Joseph S. Barrera III joe-ml at barrera.org
Tue Jun 3 01:19:15 PDT 2008

P.S. I think the last interesting OS research topic was that the
network, and network-available resources such as remote file systems,
should be integrated into the OS. And that was 25 years ago. I *love* OS
work but I bailed out of research when it seemed like there was nothing
left to do. Shared-nothing systems are interesting but it's far from
clear that you want a single OS to manage a collection of shared-nothing
systems/processors. Small systems/embedded OS systems seemed interesting
until it became clear that even the cheapest
phone/pda/remote-control/watch/whatever would have more processing power
than an early 486 based PC, and MUCH more than a VAX 780. Why build a
special purpose embedded OS when last year's (or 5 years ago) OS fits
perfectly well on your device?

I haven't even read the past ten year's SOSPs. What the hell are they
doing these days?

- Joe