[FoRK] What Happened

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Jun 3 10:41:00 PDT 2008

Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2008, at 11:31 AM, Tom Higgins wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Joseph S. Barrera III
>> <joe-ml at barrera.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
>>>
>>>  E.g. does the Kindle make reading Infinite Jest any easier?
>>>>

>>> Hmm, guess not, since hardly anything by DFW is available on Kindle.
>>>

>> Sad...my ebook reader has some:)-
>
> You can put just about anything you can put on any other ebook reader
> on Kindle.  It just ain't going to be purty.
Waiting for at least 100 DPI 8.5/11...  Preferably in color actually,
but eink is cool too.

You know, the included EVDO is cool, however I will likely always have
my unlimited EVDO USB unit, and I only use it while traveling, so I'm
good with a unit with a USB port to give me better access than the
Kindle has.  I simply need high resolution, thin/light/tough form
factor, good battery (and easy, low headache battery changing if it is
<4hrs.), etc.  There did exist a laptop that had an internal
mini-battery so that you could change batteries without powering down
the laptop.  On the other hand, I killed an expensive battery once while
changing it while the laptop was plugged in, which was supposed to work.

My dream specs right now:
High resolution color touch screen in a thin tablet form factor, VGA out
for videophones
USB, Wifi, and Bluetooth (for a keyboard / mouse if need be)
Solid state, no hard drive, just use compact flash, 2 ports at least
Well designed screen cover that can take being sandwiched under pressure
in a book bag / backpack
Massive battery life with removable battery.
Instant startup Linux
Built-in VNC - for use as a terminal to non-screen 'pocket-tops', i.e.
portable computing bricks that have hard drive, dvdr, etc.

On the other hand, Wifi - VNC - videophones with bluetooth keyboard /
mouse and pocket-bricks would be just the ticket for a certain range of use.
Doable except for the power problem.  You would need a whole helmet 1"
thick of batteries to get a good 16 hour range.  Hey, there's an idea,
except for the incendiary possibility of so many unstable joules a few
mm from your scalp...  You certainly would not want to have a neck strap
holding it on.

sdw