[FoRK] Google Talk Now Translates Your Chats

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Tue Jun 3 15:50:11 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 12:43:01AM -0700, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
> It just kills me that I've been learning Japanese for years but my
> girlfriend (and all her friends) speak Mandarin and I don't understand
> a word...  at least my learning kanji is still useful. Of course, it's
> not called kanji...

...And it rarely makes sense that way.  Once had a fun time walking
through Chinatown w/a Kanji-literate friend, listening to English
translations of Japanese readings of Chinese signs.  Sounds very, very
odd that way.

> P.S. She was talking to her mom: blah blah blah COSTCO blah blah,
> and I said, I've just learned the Chinese word for Costco!

I love hearing the Hindi and Punjabi radio ads here in Vancouver.
only $3.99!  <something> <something> limited-time special!  Gyaaaa..."

> P.S. OK, I've learned the words for "thank you". And I've learned that
> ma is Chinese for ka (question marker). As well as meaning mother,
> horse, and about ten other things depending on tone.

Excellent!  Mandarin is relatively easy to learn if you have native
speakers around you.  Flexible grammar, only 4 tones, and you already
know how they do numbers.