[FoRK] Google Talk Now Translates Your Chats

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Tue Jun 3 22:11:25 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:19:48PM -0500, paul wrote:
> Aaron Burt said the following on 6/3/2008 5:50 PM:
> <snip>
> >
> >Excellent!  Mandarin is relatively easy to learn if you have native
> >speakers around you.  Flexible grammar, only 4 tones, and you already
> >know how they do numbers.
>
> Actually, not a clue here about how they do numbers.  What do I google?

No idear.  But if you know some Japanese, you have a general idea of how
Chinese numbers work.  Same characters, same notation (i.e.  4,356
pencils is expressed as "4-thousand, 3-hundred, 5-ten 6 <suffix
indicating that you're referring to small skinny things>"

Most Asian languages are relatively easy and lots of fun, at least up to
first-grade level.  F'r instance, Korean doen't even have tones and its
writing system was practically designed by an engineer.  Vietnamese has
a Roman-based writing system and only a few tones.

It's not nearly as easy or useful to an American as learning Spanish,
but a great way to broaden your knowledge of how humans express ideas
and culture.

Being able to order lunch politely is just a bonus,
  Aaron