[FoRK] Group dynamics, polarization, and online interaction

paul paul at remsset.com
Thu Jun 5 16:01:34 PDT 2008

Tom Higgins said the following on 6/5/2008 4:46 PM:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>
>> "Public Discourse in the Web Does Not Exhibit Group Polarization"
>>

> Why all this talk of the Polar Ice Caps in groups online.?
>

> -tom("oh   never mind")higgins
>
> PS  without poles, there is no globe to warm...yea.

Which reminds me of an old joke.

One day an old jewish pole, living in Warsaw, has his last light bulb
burn out. To get a new one he'll have to stand in line for two hours at
the store (and they'll probably be out by the time he gets there), so he
goes up to his attic and starts rummaging around for an old oil lamp he
vaguely remembers seeing.

He finds the old brass lamp in the bottom of a trunk that has seen
better days. He starts to polish it and (poof!) a genie appears in cloud
of smoke.

"Hoho, Mortal!" says the genie, stretching and yawning, "For releasing
me I will grant you three wishes."

The old man thinks for a moment, and says, "I want Genghis Khan
resurrected. I want him to re-unite his mongol hordes, march to the
Polish border, and then decide he doesn't want the place and march back
home."

"No sooner said than done!" thunders the genie. "Your second wish?"

"Ok. I want Genghis Khan resurrected. I want him to re-unite his mongol
hordes, march to the Polish border, and then decide he doesn't want the
place and march back home."

"Hmmm. Well, all right. Your third wish?"

"I want Genghis Khan resurrected. I want him to re-unite his --"

"Okokok. Right. What's this business about Genghis Khan marching to
Poland and turning around again?"

The old man smiles. "He has to pass through Russia six times."

--
http://remsset.com

- Arthur C. Clarke