[FoRK] Genghis Kahn

Jeffrey Winter jeffreywinter at xefer.com
Fri Jun 6 09:58:09 PDT 2008

I find these sorts of genetic tests interesting but the results are
deceptive.  Sure, mitochontrial gives the direct maternal lineage and the
Y-chromosome the direct paternal lineage, but they represent a miniscule set
of the entire genome.  Human males have ~85 total genes on the Y and there
are only ~15 total genes in mitochondrial DNA.

We are much more then just the haplotypes on those particular areas.

I think this is clearly demonstrated in Cavalli-Sforza's genetic maps of
Europe:

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/94/15/7719/F2

These companies could pick other haplotypes to focus on and give perhaps
completely different results.  I'm sure there are a lot of African American
men with Northern European Y-chromosomes but it doesn't make any sense to
pinpoint that location as their ancestral "homeland"