[FoRK] Is SwiftFuel from Sorgham the answer?

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Fri Jun 6 12:58:56 PDT 2008

I generally disbelieve anything Cringeley predicts as a matter of
principle, but it sure would be nice if I was wrong for a change...

-- Ernie P.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2008/pulpit_20080606_005036.html

Enter SwiftFuel, the Splenda of motor fuels because it is made from
ethanol yet contains no ethanol. SwiftFuel is the invention of John
and Mary Rusek from Swift Enterprises in Indiana. To your airplane
SwiftFuel looks and tastes just like gasoline. It has an octane rating
of 104 (higher than the 100 octane fuel it replaces) yet contains no
lead or ethanol. SwiftFuel mixes with gasoline, can be stored in the
same tanks as gasoline, and be shipped in the same pipelines as
gasoline. It is made entirely from biomass, which means it has a net
zero carbon footprint and does nothing to increase global warming. Its
emission of other polluting byproducts of burning gasoline are
significantly lower, too. SwiftFuel has more energy per gallon than
gasoline so your airplane (or your car) will go 15-20 percent further
on each gallon.

Oh, and based on an average $1.42 per gallon wholesale cost for the
ethanol used as its feedstock, SwiftFuel costs $1.80 per gallon to
produce, meaning that it ought to be able to sell for $3 per gallon or
less no matter what happens in the Middle East.