[FoRK] RIP Amazon

Stephen D. WIlliams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jun 6 13:02:39 PDT 2008

Lol... I've been a bad boy??

http://www.amazon.com/gp/yourstore/ref=pd_irl_gw?ie=UTF8&signIn=1
Amazon.com

We're sorry!

You have been denied access to this feature because we believe you
violated the terms, conditions, rules, guidelines or policies of our
site in the past. If you believe we have taken this action in error, you
may contact us at ad-help-us at amazon.com.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why am I seeing this page?
A: This page is usually shown when we believe that the request is coming
from a robot or other automated source of requests. If you are not a
robot please contact us immediately by emailing ad-help-us at amazon.com
and we will reinstate your access to our website.

Q: How can I operate a robot and not get this page?
A: We understand that there are many legitimate reasons for robots to
access our website. We are happy to work with people trying to create
robots so that they may do so safely and efficiently. If you are
operating a robot and you are seeing this page we'd love to hear from
you so that we may better understand your use case and help you to
achieve your goals. Please email ad-help-us at amazon.com and we'll help
you out - seriously, we aren't mad at you.

Q: What are some general tips for people writing robots?
A: First, you should see if there is a better method to get the
information you need. For example, Amazon Web Services provides a rich
set of APIs to retrieve the information displayed on many of Amazon's
web pages (prices, reviews, sales rank, etc). Because Amazon Web
Services exposes a stable set of APIs that provide structured data it is
often much easier to retrieve information via this method. You'll be
able to find out more about Amazon Web Services at
http://aws.amazon.com. Second, you should identify your robot using a
unique user agent string that provdes a way we can get in touch with you
if necessary. For example, here is Google's user agent string
Googlebot/2.1 (+http://www.googlebot.com/bot.html).