[FoRK] My old laptop has died. What's your favorite today?

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Tue Jun 24 02:20:59 PDT 2008

Thinkpad T61p here -- works beautifully under Ubuntu.  the only problems I
have are general OS bugs that affect other hardware, too, such as the
ever-present Linux sound server crappiness; everything else to do with the
hardware "just works".  (mind you I don't do much suspend/resume in the
current setup.)

Just to add to the "good service"/"bad service" cacophony:

About a month after the machine arrived, the hard disk developed write
errors.  As I note at http://taint.org/2008/02/08/181826a.html ,
I called Lenovo service (which is still being handled by the same
IBM team AFAICT) and they practically had a new one at my desk before I
hung up the phone ;)  Legendary service.

I've heard a lot of linux guys talking about running it on a Macbook Pro;
that was my other option, but on this count, everyone agrees -- their
service and support here in Ireland is absolutely fucking atrocious.

--j.