[FoRK] My old laptop has died. What's your favorite today?

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 08:07:21 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 6:55 AM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> Life's too short to mess around with desktop Linux.

My mother age 67 and my son age 5  would disagree with that, but they
have open minds when it comes to using computers and as such are not
subject to the religious nature of various bought and paid for
lifestyles. SO please don't buy into the whole "convenience versus
utility " rabbit hole

(There, bait spit back out, untasty ..blech.magic 8 ball says try again)

Now as for laptops, I have had a series of Toshbias I liked but who
all eventually gave up the ghost. As my wife points out I am sort of
hard on my laptops so this could be the reason over a defect in the
brand. I have used Thinkpads of all sorts in my time and I do indeed
find them to be great laptops. My current fave is the asus eee but
this would be underpowered for what your specing out.

To be fair I have used a few of the Macbooks and they have solid
hardware, the OS is what usually fraks up the works (for the users,
not me) and as such I have had several macbook using friends convert
the os over to Ubuntu. I have to say with Ubuntu Gutsy on a macbook it
is a damn fine machine. The daap apps that come with actually
share.....imagine that.

Set your specs, set a price, set a date to buy...then it all falls into place.

-tom(getting zeroconf right)higgins