[FoRK] [meta] the OS debate

Lawnun lawnun at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 10:05:46 PDT 2008

I'll save the political debate over which is the superior OS for others.

But, I must admit, I'm with Jeff on this one Tom.  A scary thing to admit, I
might add ;)

As for fresh datapoints, I offer the following (anecdotal, I know).

About a month and change ago, a friend of mine picked up an Asus E, with the
sole intent of slapping a distro of linux on there to do physics-type
things.  For whatever reason, rather than opting for an Asus with the
preloaded Linux, he chose an Asus with Windows preloaded, thinking that he'd
load Debian on his own and make it dual boot.

Six weeks, and probably 8 solid days worth of failed attempts (with various
distros, including Debian, Puppy and Knoppix, the latter of which are
_supposed to load straight off CD), he's got a barely passable version of
Debian loaded--provided you slap a flash drive in the USB port first. This,
despite the fact that he installed it on the SSD.  o_O

Some hardware is recognized, others, including the wireless card, are not.

That to me signals that Linux still has a ways to go, at least as far as
interoperability with  (some) laptops.

Carey