[FoRK] "faith" vs. critical rationalism Re: Philosophy, for whoever needs it

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Tue Jun 24 14:38:46 PDT 2008

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the elaboration, it is quite helpful. But...

On Jun 24, 2008, at 8:01 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:
> My rejection of "divinity" as a subject of rational inquiry is not a
> statement of belief or disbelief, of certainty or probability.  It
> is a statement about the unsuitability of that topic for rational
> inquiry, consideration, or discussion --- by definition of
> rationality, under critical rationalism.  I am not *willing* to
> believe because I do not recognize the validity of any
> epistemological method that would allow me to acquire and possess
> such belief.  Religion insists on faith;  faith sets itself outside
> the realm of the rational by definition.

That's where you're losing me.  Yes, there *are* certain
epistemologies where "faith" is contrasted with "rational inquiry."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fideism

But, even within fideism, some see faith and reason as complementary,
rather than antagonistic.

I wonder what definition of "faith" you are using that makes it
*necessarily* antagonistic.  For example, I can have "faith"  (or
"believe") that:

a) human beings evolved from unicellular organisms via a process
involving natural selection

b) there exists a singular unifything Theory of Everything that can
characterize all observable physical phenomena

c) the United States exists in its present form largely due to the
courage, intelligence and character of a hisorical person named George
Washington

d) societies built around respect for the individual maximize total
happiness better than any of the alternatives

Those propositions -- which guide the actions of many scientists and
politicians -- could certainly be characterized as acts of "faith",
but aren't (necessarily) "religious" or "outside the realm of rational
inquiry."  Are they?

If not, then you can perhaps guess my follow-up question; but I'll
save that for another post...

-- Ernie P.