[FoRK] "faith" vs. critical rationalism Re: Philosophy, for whoever needs it

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Jun 24 18:42:39 PDT 2008

Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2008, at 7:37 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>
>> Perhaps what we need is elaborate participatory creative mutual
>> entertainment that touches on all of the social, mystical,
>> supportive, educational, and therapy needs that religion sometimes
>> covers.
>
> Fuck.  Did Lion get to you?
Lol.... ;-)
I mean in addition to being taught scientific secular humanism.  I
thought I made that clear.  Explicit theater for everything else.  A big
game.  We identify the ones who truly start believing by their inability
to switch to the next game.  And we provide social pressure to get with
the new game to help them realize it isn't real.  Play religion.  That's
what a lot of people do anyway, but they can't acknowledge that, and
they aren't having much fun.

Of course, personally, I wouldn't have time for that kind of thing either.

Lion...  Well, he has Faith, of some kind or another, or he's pretty
good at playing us with sincere-sounding email (and long phone calls).

sdw