[FoRK] ET vs. God vs. The Great Simulator vs. MWI, fight!

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Tue Jun 24 22:22:35 PDT 2008

Hi Jeff,

On Jun 24, 2008, at 3:51 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> (1) Is the likelihood of the existence of extraterrestrial
> intelligence a suitable topic for rational discussion?  Why or why
> not?  What are the limits of certainty that can be obtained about
> this topic today?

To all of these, I believe *some* level of rational discussion is
possible *given* sufficient shared priors.  Given insufficient priors,
any ensuing discussion would inevitably be irrational.

> They represent various things that I've given quite a bit of thought
> to over the years, but which it is to varying degrees difficult to
> reconcile with any conservative (in the sense of minimally-
> presumptive, maximally-exclusive) epistemological framework one
> might claim or wish to employ.

I disbelieve in the possibility of *any* rational inquiry without
*some* priors.  Your belief in the opposite would thus seem to be
wholly irrational from my perspective. :-)

-- Ernie P.