[FoRK] One other anecdote re: self-reliance and OSes

Joseph S. Barrera III joe-ml at barrera.org
Wed Jun 25 03:00:42 PDT 2008

Jeff Bone wrote:

>  His ability / willingness to self-serve came to an abrupt halt when
>  he purchased an early Dell w/, IIRC, Windows 3.something on it.  From
>  that time on upgrading his OS meant buying a new box, and for routing
>  chores it meant an increasing amount of help from me, an ever-growing
>  burden with each rev of Win.

Routing as in networking?

Networking in Win 3.1/DOS was a nightmare. In NT it was difficult.
In 2000/XP networking chores have become very easy.

Actually, networking in 3.1 was an amazing feat. I may not be remembering
this correctly but I think Spyglass was one of the early companies that
provided a TCP stack for DOS. Some of their code was picked up
by Internet Explorer and they are still credited to this day.

Yep, I got that wrong. Well, go read
http://www.ericsink.com/Browser_Wars.html

Luggables are cool and are one of my favorite class of collectibles.
Not everyone remembers how Compaq got its name.
One of my favorites luggables is the SX-64.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_SX-64

I mention it to my son when he wishes for a portable xbox.