[FoRK] kindle was Re: One other anecdote re: self-reliance and OSes

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 25 09:50:47 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Joseph S. Barrera III
<joe-ml at barrera.org> wrote:
> Stephen Williams wrote:
>
>>  Just to confuse our conversation graph even more, I'm that close to
>>  finally buying a Kindle.  I was close right off the bat, although
>
> Do it, just do it. Being able to re-read all of Stephenson, plus

I used to drag along a dozen or so books (some picked up on the way)
when we did our big round-the-world training tour.  Pain in the
patoot.  It's also good for my train trips down to Chicago, and it's a
lot easier to read than my "emergency backup books" on my Blackberry
(Mobipocket reader + a handful of free Baen titles) In fact, we're a
two ebook family -- Sony Reader and Kindle.  I'd have loved an Iliad
from iRex (Philips spin-off) but they're both expensive and
power-hungry.

Given that we have ~7000 books now, I'm definitely interested in
reducing the need for more bookshelves, or at least reducing he
derivative of books owned with respect to time.

In terms of new models, I'm definitely interested in one of the
Chinese (Netronix) readers expected this fall or early 2009.  It's
expected to have roughly A4/US letter screen size and resolution.  It
would be really great since I could read technical papers and such
without printing them out or dragging out my laptop.  Booken/Cybook
(French) is talking about a Kindle-esque wireless delivery system.

The big producer right now (other than Sony and Amazon) appears to be
Netronix; the Cybook is OEM'd from them, and apparently the Cybook
firmware will work on the Netronix as well.  With luck, Bookeen will
OEM their big screen reader when it comes out as well.

Source: Mobileread.com, a good place for rumors, pointers to software, etc.

In specific:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24132  Summary of  a
presentation from Bookeen on their current sales and future plans (in
decipherable French)

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21808&highlight=STAReBOOK
(the big eBook)

Ken Meltsner