[FoRK] U.S. House Passes AMT Relief, Tax Increase for Fund Managers

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Jun 27 07:53:58 PDT 2008

On Jun 26, 2008, at 7:54 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2008, at 9:46 AM, Owen Byrne wrote:
>
>> So President Bone, where exactly would you make these cuts (and
>> assume that your primary objective, like all politicians, is to get
>> reelected).

SO:  still working on an exhaustive list of suggestions, hope to be
done w/ that sometime over the weekend;  but as a teaser, the short
version of it is:

I think it would be possible to fairly quickly (a) eliminate ~60% of
annual federal spending in a manner that potentially preserves
(indeed, makes sustainable) most the benefit provided under that
spending today, (b) eliminates the largest pieces of escalating and
unsustainable mandatory / entitlement spending, and (c) provides a
means of reversing the cross-border monetary flow, thus supporting a
strong-dollar policy.  As a side effect of this citizens would have
much more direct access to and control over the politics and
politicians that control the use of their funds and the provision of
the effected services.

Furthermore I think we could easily reduce defense spending by at
least 10-33% while dramatically increasing our national security
capability.

AND:  I think on many issues there are reasonable quid pro quo
tradeoffs between the most-cherished goals of the economic left and
right, between the secularists and religious conservatives, and
between various other special interests that, if enacted, more or less
disarms most of the most significant wedge issues and enables a much
more stable and cooperative polity to focus on the real, significant,
long-term issues facing the US and the world.  The key to all of this
is not ideological stubbornness or meet-in-the-middle worst-of-both-
worlds compromise, but *trading* --- real quid pro quo swapping of
serious concessions.

jb