[FoRK] Mandatory Public Service for Tweenager Real Life Exposure

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Jun 28 03:57:34 PDT 2008

One key thing that I think feeds into the "mandatory public service" is
the need to adjust the adolescent / high school period in some strong
way.  As we've discussed in the past, there is a huge need to get kids
away from the critical-mass of too many other teenagers, too few adults,
and all of those adults being either parents or educators.  If kids had
to take a year for mandatory public service or equivalent internship,
which could be at 14-16 or it could be just after graduating HS, this
would go a long way to provide much needed understanding of the real
world and motivation to pursue advanced education.  This service might
be run with the strictness of the military, but with jobs being strictly
non-combat and pointedly with a low percentage of other teenagers.  At
the very least would be pairing with a mentor.  Better would be being a
junior member of a team accomplishing something.

This might only be optional for those at the very top of their class who
strongly want to skip it.  Perhaps they might have an option to avoid it
altogether or perhaps they just have a choice for something more
advanced but similar later.  In any case, for all classes, they start
out at some matched starting point and have to graduate out, which might
happen quickly to allow for new bootcampers.  A nice side effect is that
everyone would get a little time in a variety of jobs.

This could also be an option for people who are unemployed, on
probation, or other less-than-fully-employed situations.  They could
either be "students" or in some cases "mentors" / team members.  The
work could range from purely public service to actually working for
companies or government agencies or public schools.

Peace Corp, Habitat for Humanity, Red Cross, and many others could
participate.

A key part of this might be living and working away from home for an
extended period.  I've recently understood a bit more about how certain
cultures, Australia and New Zealand in particular, have a common
practice of sending kids abroad, to ski / mountain bike or other tourist
areas for instance, to work a year (or longer sometimes if they're
having fun) between high school and college.  Does anyone have details
on this kind of things for various cultures?  I know about rumspringa
and of course there are many who travel to become au pairs.