[FoRK] The Great Drain

Jeffrey Winter jeffreywinter at xefer.com
Sat Jun 28 09:36:19 PDT 2008

>> What say you about the Great Drain System?

These sorts of mega-scale dreams scare the crap out of me.  The extent of
the unintended consiquences is unknowable beyond the certainty that things
will ultimately be worse rather than better.

Canada is often described as having an "excess" of water, and even a casual
glance at maps of the north country show that in many places there is more
water than actual land, e.g., http://tinyurl.com/3utf78
But the environmental impact is not worth it.

Though... I must say I can appreciate the sheer audacity of some plans, my
favorite being Sörgel's idea of damming the Congo River:

http://www.xefer.com/2005/03/lake