[FoRK] The Great Drain

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Jun 28 11:29:32 PDT 2008

Jeffrey Winter wrote:
>>> What say you about the Great Drain System?
>>>

> These sorts of mega-scale dreams scare the crap out of me.  The extent of
> the unintended consiquences is unknowable beyond the certainty that things
> will ultimately be worse rather than better.

I can understand worry about draining lots of flow from pristine areas,
although some of that is probably doable with little impact.  I can see
no negative environmental impact of draining would-be flood waters from
towns around the Mississippi, for instance.
Unusual surges in "domesticated" rivers across the country could simply
be absorbed, with the only problem being trying to pump fast without
pulling in too many fish, etc.
> Canada is often described as having an "excess" of water, and even a casual
> glance at maps of the north country show that in many places there is more
> water than actual land, e.g., http://tinyurl.com/3utf78
> But the environmental impact is not worth it.

May not be worth it.  Unstudied, no?
> Though... I must say I can appreciate the sheer audacity of some plans, my
> favorite being Sörgel's idea of damming the Congo River:
>
> http://www.xefer.com/2005/03/lake

If you could do something like that to only affect, for instance, the
Sahara, why not?