[FoRK] The Great Drain

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Jun 28 12:23:54 PDT 2008

On Jun 28, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> I can understand worry about draining lots of flow from pristine
> areas,
> although some of that is probably doable with little impact.  I can
> see
> no negative environmental impact of draining would-be flood waters
> from
> towns around the Mississippi, for instance.

I can think of one reason why I wouldn't want that floodwater - it may
contain my poop.  Several times recently, our storm sewers overflowed
into the sanitary sewers (at least once during the rains, exceeding
sewage processing capacity, causing raw sewage to be dumped) and more
was released just the other day when a pump moving half of Madison's
sewage lost both its power feeds simultaneously.  I'm sure Madison
isn't the only place that had to do so.  Not to mention, all the
runoff from dairy farms in the area is sure to leave a special taste
in the water.

There's no point in moving that water all the way if you can't use it
for cooking, washing, or drinking.  How about instead moving the
people to the water?  Especially considering that one day's worth of
water for one person weighs much more than one person does, it'd be
far cheaper.