[FoRK] Challenge for Zee and Stephen

Kevin Elliott k-elliott at wiu.edu
Mon Jun 30 10:20:14 PDT 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 9:03 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:
> (4) Assuming that in fact in our current system plaintiffs win more
> than is statistically likely, is that a problem?

Quick comment on this point- "statistically likely" is completely
meaningless in this context, and tells us very little about the
correctness of a given situation.  One can argue that in a perfect
legal system 100% of the time the plaintiff should lose.  In such an
ideal world, only guilty people end up in court, and only guilty
people are convicted.

On the other hand, let say that the ration is 50/50?  Does that mean
half the people are innocent, or does it mean that people are getting
away with bad things?  Adding to the fun, if your REALLY bad, your
more likely settle, so your number doesn't even show up in the data,
but altering the system in favor of the plaintiffs will also make you
less likely to settle.

I don't think there is any way to establish a sensible number to
quantify your question.

Kevin Elliott
k-elliott at wiu.edu