[FoRK] The Platform

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Jun 30 12:47:31 PDT 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 1:41 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:

> I think that rationalization of award amounts proportionality and
> reasoning is what needs to be done.

I actually disagree (perhaps surprisingly.)  I did not support caps on
med-mal when it came around here, for example.

With the plaintiff's case that actually has merit, why SHOULD the
award be capped?

Why, for example, should the damages that our federal government will
eventually need to pay localities for legislating CFLs and therefore
mandating ground-water poisoning be capped?  Not only considering the
cost of cleanup, what are the economic and other costs of an average
reduction of several points of adult IQ?  What's the cost of a totally
stunted next-generation?

Sky's the limit, baby.  Class action.  That's my next startup, right
there.

jb