[FoRK] No-Limit Texas Hold 'Em was Re: Challenge for Zee and Stephen

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 21:30:38 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Owen Byrne <owen at permafrost.net> wrote:
> I find Risk to be kinda boring,  personally. Texas Hold-em is simple on the
> surface, but complex in depth.
> Risk is the opposite. He who controls the choke points wins.

Given the two options, yea Holdem Has a betterr play value, is
quicker, and has a nice buzz to it these days. Risk I like more if its
played with the right folks. Both though are far far outstripped by
lots of other great, but sadly not as well known, games.

For simple games that often unfold into nice levels of depth try many
of the Cheapass games (http://www.cheapass.com/) One of my fave is
http://www.cheapass.com/products/hippocket/cag961.html as is
http://www.cheapass.com/products/hippocket/cag961.html and
http://www.cheapass.com/products/boardgames/cag043.html

Diplomacy ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_(game) ) rates way
up on the list of games that are simple but go deep. Played with a
good group of people and you can get even more hurt feelings than a
big ante game of texasblowem. I have never wanted to strangle someone
as much as a after a triple backstab based on bogus disinformation and
all my ships left out undockable.

Another great box game is Civilization
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_board_game) not the Sid
Myers game (and please Sid...really?? you really did not play the
board game?? really?) Deep and not all that simple but man what a
ride. All nighter? Heck ya.

Simpler and deeper than most any I have ever player.. Go (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(board_game) ) That Texas Hold Em is
hyped and blown up in some cultures and Go is not...that my droogies
is a telling little bit about the state of creeping meatballism.

But Risk, HoldEm...sure why not. Im all in.

-tom(and if some others need playing..so much the cooler)higgins