[FoRK] The Parable of Joe and the Looters

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Jul 5 23:36:33 PDT 2008

> You're right. California's perfect. Get ready, we're all moving there.
>
> Right before it slides into the fucking ocean. (HEY: I was *there* for
> Loma Prieta. Bite me.)
How much has fallen into the ocean so far?

> BTW, let me tell you what a server room full of racks looks like after
> a 7.1. It looks like a fucking game of pick-up stix.
So people learn to tie in server racks better.

> No thank you.
>
> Next?
What would you suggest?

Jeff Bone wrote:

> ... because it can't anymore, what do you think is going to happen to
> the various states? Which states are going to be in the best position
> to keep funding that all-important "safety net" and all those other
> good and valuable programs; the states with no (prior) income taxes,
> small bureaucracy, a budget process that's under control, and
> generally low taxes and a pro-business climate --- or the State of
> California, whose balance sheet is already so burdened by all the
> crazy shit the Good People of California have voted for funding
> through wealth confiscation, which programs already cause it to teeter
> on the brink of solvency? Your state's budget swings wildly from years
> of running even to running $14B in the hole most recently --- and your
> state constitution doesn't provide your legislators any tools to
> prevent this, it's entirely at the whim --- and therefore an
> ever-increasing ratchet --- of the voters.
Yea, who?
Sometimes California, with a GDP of about 1.7 Trillion (in 2006), is 14B
behind in a given year? Boo hoo...
California is at the front of a pack of states that have a lot of
everything and are so diversified that they can survive most slow
periods. Off the top of my head: California, New York, Ohio,
Pennsylvania, MA., Texas, and close ones like Florida, Virginia,
Maryland, New Jersey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_California