[FoRK] Why can't PhDs program?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jul 6 01:30:26 PDT 2008

I always felt that programming had to be learned by doing a lot of it
and reading a lot of it. You need to get to plateaus of understanding,
or milestones of insight, and get them ingrained so that you think in
those concepts.

This is not to say that the theory, mathematical understanding, logic,
proofs, etc. aren't important, but that they don't naturally provide a
code-producing / code-thinking brain.

My perspective is hack-as-a-kid, get-a-computer-job-as-a-kid, learn to
be professional, accomplish some cool stuff along side
engineers/PhDs/professional developers, then learn the academic
perspective (more as a curiosity / filling out than anything and because
I want to be able to express myself in that realm), so YMMV.

sdw