[FoRK] toxicity of electronics dissection

Steve SetAtGreensplatSBCGlobal Nordquist Saigua at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 17 12:14:40 PDT 2008

> Luis Villa wrote:
>> Reminds me of my mother discovering that my brother had used her best
>> pots to recycle newspapers into cardboard for a project. Turns out
>> that newsprint ink is toxic; best not to mix it with your best pots.
>> Oops.
>>
> Not anymore of course.  Almost all papers went to water soluble inks
> that are, I believe, non-toxic.

> sdw

Experimentation shows that the bulk is intaglio pigment (all
front-surface, so scraping is absolute, washing pretty good) which reduces
the amount of coke-product carrier in the ink...but of course one can
throw anything into the press and tell people it's another improvement;
and there's the odd grab bag of public-sector water-soluble stuff around
yet also.

What paper's soluble? [Insert stock image of cleanroom bunny reading the
water-soluble SJMN: 'VARIAN STABILIZES AS ROME HOLDS AT 60.3% BURNED']

Traditional (chinese) calligraphy ink was famously poison, but that's sort
of like the silver (as antibacterial) fad too; calligraphers don't die
under 95 much.