[FoRK] Fw: The Next Vice President

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Aug 25 07:55:19 PDT 2008

On Aug 23, 2008, at 6:08 PM, Russell Turpin wrote:

>> McCain has a (very slim) shot at this thing, and could actually
>> win it handily IMHO if he'd do the one thing he apparently cannot:
>> repudiate Bush.
>
> Exactly. McCain has spent the last few years kissing up to The Base.
> He has committed himself to their kulturkampf. He may appeal to
> moderates on issues such as campaign finance. And he is pretty much
> committed, at this point, to supporting stem cell research. But look
> him to swing right of Bush on issues such as abortion, judicial
> appointments, immigration, and the other touchstones of the culture
> warriors. A moderate might hope that that is all just for show, that
> he
> doesn't really mean it. Looking back, though, politicians usually
> signal
> pretty loudly what they're going to do once in office.

Feh.  You really have a bad case of knee-jerk false equivalence.
Dude, look at the man's history.  Seriously.  You couldn't have
*found* a GOP senator *less* like Bush, or further toward the middle!

I won't deny that he's been pandering.  But that's because the
staunchest third of habitual Republican voters have threatened to sit
things out.  The calculus he's struggling with is whether that part of
the caucus is bigger than the alienated middle --- though I'll admit
he appears to be getting the wrong answer when pondering that...

We'll see.

jb