[FoRK] Obama: communitarian, redistributionist, confused? (from NYT)

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Aug 25 11:35:15 PDT 2008

Jeff Bone wrote:

> For fucks sake, really.  Yes, I did that already last time around.
> No, I'm not going to do it every time I forward some observation about
> one (or the other.)  That is not my responsibility, obligation, or
> purpose.
>
> I'm not going to pretend not to have a preference.  Let's be clear:  I
> *really* dislike BOTH candidates.  I believe Obama to be slightly more
> dangerous, though, on the one dimension of risk that I believe is our
> greatest concern at this point:  economics.  I believe that we're
> headed into depression territory;  the only real question is which one
> minimizes the depth and length, and minimizes the FDR nonsense that
> will inevitably occur during (and therefore be dragged along for
> generations thereafter.)
Oh lighten up.  Don't worry, be happy.  We need a fresh, fun,
interesting candidate and the rest will sort itself out.  ;-)
Really, anyone halfway competent would be so refreshing, I would relax
and give them a chance to make the right decisions, at least for a while.

Obama has lost big points with me already for voting for telecom
immunity, but been sharp on other things.  McCain has lost many more due
to obvious pandering and the possibility that he will vote to his
promises too much.  I would have voted for him when he ran before, but
he has sullied himself now.

The fact that Obama is too idealistic and considers some possibly
slightly toxic solutions doesn't worry me, he will have plenty of help,
feedback, and guidance just like all Presidents.  And he has the sense
to understand and listen to reason.  Unlike some others.
> Neither is a choice I feel good about voting for.  Indeed, more and
> more lately I've been contemplating just not voting;  but I was raised
> to believe that if you don't vote you have no right to bitch, and the
> latter isn't acceptable to me. ;-)
Which is exactly opposite of George Carlin's rationale for not voting.
Well, now he has stronger rationale, but before that and after the 70's.
In "The Rational Basis for Irrational..." the author makes the point
strongly that from the individual's point of view, voting doesn't matter
and has no value.

sdw