[FoRK] Obama: communitarian, redistributionist, confused? (from NYT)

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Aug 25 12:44:51 PDT 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 2:35 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2008, at 2:23 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>>> You Shiny Happy Change people are going to install a guy who's
>>> going to
>>> wreck the rest of your professional lives on top of the disaster
>>> of the last
>>> 8 years, just in a different direction.  I hope you enjoy what you
>>> get.
>>
>> Ridiculous.  Obama is politically bland and moderate.  He's a wonk in
>> the Clinton style that emphasizes competence over ideology,
>
> You're smoking crack, Lucas.

Seriously, dude.  Where in the WORLD would you get this idea?  Even
his own party bills him as left of left-center and a true believer,
the flag-bearer of newly-resurgent 60s idealism --- in contrast to
Clinton.  Obama's carefully-constructed image is as the most starry-
eyed True Believer to come along in generations.  His *whole schtick*
is the rejection of realpolitik in favor of Shiny Happyism.

I don't think there's ANYBODY out there seriously trying to sell this
claim.  Surely you aren't, either.

jb