[FoRK] Obama: communitarian, redistributionist, confused? (from NYT)

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 13:12:18 PDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>> You're smoking crack, Lucas.
>
> Seriously, dude.  Where in the WORLD would you get this idea?  Even his own
> party bills him as left of left-center and a true believer, the flag-bearer
> of newly-resurgent 60s idealism --- in contrast to Clinton.  Obama's
> carefully-constructed image is as the most starry-eyed True Believer to come
> along in generations.  His *whole schtick* is the rejection of realpolitik
> in favor of Shiny Happyism.
>
> I don't think there's ANYBODY out there seriously trying to sell this claim.
>  Surely you aren't, either.

The narrative of a wild eyed radical is being sold on the right to
stir up the base, who would buy it about Joe Lieberman if he was the
enemy du jour.  Case in point about how silly it is, Obama isn't a
boomer candidate and has nothing to do with the 60s.

As far as I how left Obama really is, your economic perspective is so
purist that you think Goldwater was a communist.  You can't use
yourself as a yardstick.