[FoRK] Obama: communitarian, redistributionist, confused? (from NYT)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Aug 25 14:10:34 PDT 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 1:21 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 1:04 PM, J. Andrew Rogers
> <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:
>> Obama is an economic troglodyte and a number of his policy
>> positions are
>> mind-bogglingly illiterate, so I am not sure how this can be
>> rationalized
>> away as emphasizing competence over ideology when it would be quite
>> reasonable to assert the opposite given the evidence available.
>
> If you give us the details of why you think so, I'm confident we'll
> find that you're projecting your personal visualization of Democratic
> politics onto this candidate.

I am sure you won't; I initially gave him the benefit of the doubt,
but familiarity changed that.  I have to agree with Jeff on one thing:
there are some profoundly broken assumptions underlying his economic
policy that betray a real ignorance of the subject, advisors or not,
and I see little in theory that would prevent him from doing something
economically stupid on a scale that makes the Bush crimes against the
economy pale in comparison over the long term.  Jeff's done a pretty
good job of touching on some highlights. On non-economic matters,
Obama has turned into a pile of "meh", which does not provide much
offset. So much for getting decent candidates this year.

BTW, the left considers virtually all economists as "too far right";
it is difficult to shoehorn the ideology into the math.

Does it really count as "change" if you are recycling William Jennings
Bryan?

J. Andrew Rogers